Sick and tired of being in pain? Discover the ways you can eliminate your TMJ problems.
It’s believed that as many as 10 million Americans are affected by TMJ disorders, a condition that affects the joints and muscles of the jaw that are responsible for movement. If you have been dealing with jaw pain learn more about this condition and how your Westminster, CO dentist, Dr. Gary Belenski, recommends treating your symptoms.
What are TMJ disorders?
This grouping of disorders affects the temporomandibular joint, which connects the jaw to the skull. Opening and closing the jaw, as well as certain twisting motions may be difficult or painful if you suffer from this problem. Those with a TMJ disorder often experience these symptoms:
- Jaw and/or facial pain (most often occurring in the morning)
- Jaw stiffness
- Tenderness in and around the jaw
- A jaw that locks up
- A clicking noise when opening your mouth
- Pain when chewing or yawning
How do I treat my TMJ disorder?
While some people are fortunate enough to get rid of their TMJ disorder without treatment there are some people who experience chronic pain that requires attention. If this sounds like you, then you’ve come to the right place. Here are some of the best ways our Westminster family dentist recommends tackling your symptoms:
- Apply towel-wrapped ice packs over the affected joint for about five minutes at a time several times a day to ease swelling and discomfort
- Go to your local pharmacy and pick up some over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen, which can temporarily alleviate your pain
- Follow a soft diet as much as possible and avoid crunchy, hard or chewy foods Cut food into bite-sized pieces
- Incorporate stretching exercises into your daily routine to strengthen your jaw muscles
- Try meditation or other stress management techniques
Many times these conservative treatments are enough to ease your symptoms for good. However, if you find yourself still battling chronic or severe pain, then it’s time you did something about it. Call the office of Westminster, CO general dentist, Dr. Belenski, today to get the care you deserve.